Opencast 10: Release Notes
- New conditional-config workflow operation handler, used to evaluate a list of conditions and set a workflow configuration variable accordingly.
- Opencast 10 adds JVM metrics to the metrics endpoint so you can monitor Opencast's memory and CPU behavior more closely using Prometheus.
- Updated Opencast Studio to 2021-06-11
- Update to Elasticsearch 7.10.2
- #2019: The full list of Opencast users can now be reduced in the admin UI's filtering tool using a regular expression
- #2619: Autoconfigure job dispatching so that non-admin nodes do not dispatch jobs by default
- #2554: Retract publications before deleting events rather than leaving the publications hanging with no easy way to remove them
- Improvements to Elasticsearch indexing #2211, etc
- #2677: Add 'latest' as a target verison for moving between asset manager storages
- Library updates across the project
- The default visibility of events and series in the admin interface has changed so that users will not only see entities they have write access to. This obviously has no effect on admin users since they have write access to everything anyway.
- Paella's internal user tracking is now disabled by default since it is seldom used and can put a lot of stress on the database.
- Opencast 10 now requires JDK 11
- Rename value for
sortparameter in search API from
- [#2644]: Use millisecond precision in Solr date range queries
Additional Notes about 10.14
Additional Notes about 10.13
This release resolves a few URL signing issues, as well as updating the default Paella configuration file to match Paella 6.5.6.
Additional Notes about 10.12
This release upgrades Paella from 6.4.4 to 6.5.6 to repair HLS functionality. This release also updates the editor and studio to their latest releases.
Additional Notes about 10.11
This release downgrades Paella from 6.5.5 to 6.4.4 to HLS videos not loading on slow connections.
Additional Notes about 10.10
This release adds the Rename Files workflow operation handler, and resolves an issue in the admin UI's metadata display along with a number of other, minor bug fixes.
Additional Notes about 10.9
This fix is mainly bugfixes, with the notable exception of #3305 which updates our logging system yet again.
Additional Notes about 10.8
This release contains a security fix:
- Further mitigation for Log4Shell (CVE-2021-45105)
Like the previous release this is an out-of-order patch to address and resolve a further vulnerability discovered by security researchers. Unlike the previous release it not only provides an updated version of Pax Logging, but also entirely removes the replaced bundles from Opencast's assemblies to avoid confusion if people do find the old, vulnerable version of Log4J somewhere on the filesystem, even though it is not used.
Additional Notes about 10.7
This release contains an updated version of Pax Logging, which provides Opencast's Log4j functionality. Earlier versions are affected by the Log4Shell vulnerability, which was partially mitigated in 10.6 by GHSA-mf4f-j588-5xm8. Further vulnerability discoveries by security researchers have rendered the previous mitigations ineffective. Normally we would wait for our underlying runtime (Apache Karaf) to update, however in light of the severity of these issues we have issued an out-of-order patch to address, and resolve, these concerns immediately.
Additional Notes about 10.6
This release fixes several bugs. This release also contains fixes for three security issues. The simplest of these was fixed in 9.10 and merged forward to this release. This fix is:
- GHSA-mf4f-j588-5xm8: Apache Log4j Remote Code Execution
The other two security related issues are:
- GHSA-hcxx-mp6g-6gr9: Opencast publishes global system account credentials
- GHSA-59g4-hpg3-3gcp: Files Accessible to External Parties
Notably, these last two issues could completely expose all secrets in your production system. You should consider changing them.
Additional Notes about 10.5
This release fixes several bugs. Notably, this should drastically speed up audio normalization.
Additional Notes about 10.4
This release fixes bugs and a startup issue. Some adopters were experiencing startup issues due to the JWT authentication module being installed by default. This release removes that module for default configurations.
Additional Notes about 10.3
This release fixes a number of bugs. This release also includes a fix which prevents ActiveMQ from eventually blocking operations. This fix must be manually deployed. Please follow the existing the message broker configuration instructions with the updated file.
Additional Notes about 10.2
This release fixes a number of bugs including two very important fixes related Extron SMP capture agent compatibility and problems during publication.
Manual action required if upgrading from Opencast 10.1: Opencast 10.1 contains a bug which can cause problems with republishing events. If you never ran 10.1 in production, e.g. upgraded from 9.7 to 10.2, no manual action is required.
If you have, to fix the problem, you will need to re-write the search service's Solr entries set in Opencast 10.1
by re-indexing those events. To re-index, stop your presentation/allinone node,
and restart Opencast. The re-index progress will be logged. Once Opencast is up again, everything should be fine.
All other indexes are not effected.
More details can be found at pull request #2923.
Additional Notes about 10.1
This release contains many bugfixes. In particular, the email libraries are now working properly! You might also encounter issues with updating the Elasticsearch indices with 10.0, especially when deleting elements, that are fixed with this minor release.
From this release onwards there's also no longer the need to run the Elasticsearch index rebuild separately for each service to avoid concurrency issues. Instead, you can simply use the /admin-ng/index/recreateIndex or /api/recreateIndex endpoints to trigger the complete rebuild and be sure that everything will happen in order, since there is no longer any asynchronicity involved.
|May 18, 2021||Feature freeze|
|May 24, 2021||Translation week|
|May 31, 2021||Public QA|
|June 15, 2021||Release of Opencast 10.0|
- Greg Logan
- Per Pascal Seeland (University of Stuttgart)